Bindery Cutter Operator (2nd Shift)
The Cutter Operator is responsible for the setup, adjustment and safe operation of all cutting equipment to prepare product to be packed, collated, or bound, ensuring that all items produced meet customer specifications in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Access the batching system to view batch lists and identify priority jobs to be completed for gang runs (Batch list will identify batches as either Past due Batches or Next Day Priority).
- Review job tickets and plan work processes to meet customer specifications for custom jobs.
- Login to Batch Detail/cutting process system to show where press sheet is to be cut.
- Mark the press sheet with a marker to show cutting lift quantity so Packers can retrieve required boxes.
- Inspect press sheet and identify order types and communicate with side Cutter Operators.
- Set up assigned machine to specifications, obtain approval of set up and run product when indicated by Supervisor/Plant Management.
- Keep accurate press sheet information in Logbooks with dates and counts.
- Monitor assigned machine during run to ensure adherence to specifications and make adjustments as needed to maintain specifications and operating speed.
- Ensure the completion of jobs meeting quality and quantity requirements.
- Troubleshoot machine problems, resolve if possible, notifying Bindery Supervisor/Plant Management.
- Replace worn cutting blades with hand tools when required.
- Complete and maintain all required paperwork, records, documents, etc.
- Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations including departmental housekeeping standards.
- Ensure all equipment, tools, and workstation are in good working order and is free of any safety hazards.
- Report any and all workplace hazards to Supervisor/Plant Management immediately.
- Wear all assigned Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when required.
- Report all work related injuries, illnesses and/or near misses to Supervisor/Plant Management immediately.
- Keep all work areas/workstations clean and safe in compliance with our housekeeping guidelines.
- Follow and adhere to all workplace safety rules and guidelines.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Able to read and comprehend job tickets and customer specifications.
- Able to communicate effectively with other employees.
- Able to solve practical problems.
- Good hand/eye co-ordination.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Quality Oriented.
- Team player stays to get the job done.
- Willing to be cross trained in the work of other departments/equipment.
- Happy to work shifts.
- The employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to walk; use foot/feet to operate machines and talk or hear.
- The employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
Education and Experience
- 4+ years’ experience of operating a 40’ Polar or Saber cutting machines preferred.
- Exceptional understanding of the metric system and proper use of tools to obtain exact measurements.
- Must be able to speak, read and write English.
This job is primarily performed in a fast-paced production environment. The environment can be stressful to meet deadlines and requires physical ability. There is also a large amount of squatting, bending, and lifting required. In the summer months the warehouse, although air conditioned, will be hot and humid. Because of the machinery the warehouse is also quite noisy and always requires hearing protection. During our peak season, our employees are also required to work a considerable amount of overtime.
Statement: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EEO Statement: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core DG3 values. We are an equal opportunity employer and will not allow discrimination based on age, race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic background.