Responsible for frequently preparing estimates on a variety of work that is transactional/routine/ repeat and occasionally may be unique requiring the comparison of multiple options to build an estimate. Receive specifications from Production and Sales in order to estimates the cost of materials by determining the quantity of paper, ink and plates required and then adding in a suitable margin for spoilage; estimates the cost of processing in the Press, Bindery, Prepress and Mail Services departments by estimating the amount of time required in each department and multiplying by predetermined standard cost figures. Combines the cost of materials and the cost of machine time plus a suitable margin of error. Build pricing estimates, review historical quotes on renewals and update pricing to current costs.
- Determines the production centers needed to produce the job as specified.
- Develops a plan to accommodate all facets of the job.
- Evaluates all methods available for producing the job and selects the plan which produces the job in the most economical way.
- Uses job cost sheets to establish price for finished jobs where quotations were not required.
- Works With vendors in obtaining best prices for supplies and with Sales Reps and Production in giving customers suggestions for improving quality and/or lowering the price of jobs.
- Maintains vendor price lists and discount terms and allowances. Develops knowledge of materials used, the best suppliers and competitive prices. Keeps aware of price changes and competitive prices.
- Ability to efficiently estimate jobs from prepress production through stripping, proofing, platemaking, printing, bindery and fulfillment or delivery.
- Estimate paper costs based on chosen form of production, customer paper requirements and paper grain and other performance considerations.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of cost accounting for all printing processes, paper, ink, computer operation, the competitive market, and purchasing.
- Knowledgeable regarding mail services and commercial printing, such as layout, spoilage, standards, finishing, etc.
- Collaborative skills – able to work effectively across all levels and departments.
- Knowledge of all printing equipment available and equipment’s respective run speeds. The most efficient methods for producing any job and all types and grades of paper, plus working knowledge of paper pricing.
- Must be able to compute standard costs when the desired figures are not available; determine the quantity of paper, ink, and plates required to complete each job; estimate the amount of manpower and time to be expended on each job.
- Customer satisfaction driven.
- Exceptional MS Office experience preferred, specifically Excel.
Education and Experience
- Four years college or estimating experience in Printing Industry.
- Experience in Estimating: Commercial Sheetfed, Commercial Web, Cold set Web, Digital Web, Digital equipment, and Hand Assembly
- Must have Mail Services knowledge of postal regulations and requirements.
- Experience with Monarch/Hagen preferred.
The job is primarily performed in an office environment. Some work may be done in a manufacturing and/or warehouse environment that may be noisy, hot, and humid. The environment can be stressful at time with deadline pressure to complete multiple priorities. This position requires up to 10% travel.
Statement: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EEO Statement: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core DG3 values. We are an equal opportunity employer and will not allow discrimination based on age, race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic background.